Miller is committed to being a socially responsible (re)insurance broker, which delivers positive impacts for our employees, clients and the communities in which we operate.
At Miller, we actively seek opportunities to minimise our impact on the environment:
- Environmentally supportive: Our London office – 70 Mark Lane - has a Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) rating of excellent and collects, cleans and recycles rainwater for washroom purposes. It also has a green roof with its very own bat box.
- Award winner: 70 Mark Lane has received awards from the following: The Clean City Awards - Platinum Award, The Clean Street Partnership – Improving the Local Environment.
- Focus on recycling: Miller London also joined the Square Mile Challenge in 2017 and has since collected tens of thousands of disposable coffee cups for recycling.
- Measuring progress: Corporately, we have committed to reporting on and reducing our landfill waste on an annual basis. We measure our carbon dioxide emissions and have committed to working with suppliers to understand our most important sources of emissions (for example office electricity usage and business travel) and to set out a plan to reduce these where possible.
- Working with like-minded suppliers: All Miller suppliers must read our supplier statement and adhere to the environmental principles outlined within it. We also encourage them to develop and supply goods and services that help improve environmental performance
Supporting environmental progress
We are committed to working with our clients to support their environmental progress and with the (re)insurance market to develop innovative solutions to evolving environmental risks.
- Monitoring latest developments in the insurance sector and having direct involvement in supporting new initiatives which advance the ESG position, including moves towards carbon neutrality.
- We are passionate and dedicated to the renewables sector and have developed extensive knowledge in this area. This has enabled us to develop complex solutions to help drive savings and efficiencies for our renewable clients. Our knowledge extends across all renewable areas including wind, solar, hydro and geothermal risks.
- We have recently recruited a Head of Renewable Energy and Environmental Technology. This appointment enables Miller to further develop renewable energy and environmental technology expertise for the benefit of existing and future global clients.
- We work with our clients to identify climate change and natural-catastrophe risks and bring specialist solutions to them. One such example is FloodFlash, a unique parametric flood product for commercial entities, providing peace of mind and confidence in rapid pay-outs should an event occur.
- We are undertaking a review of our position regarding climate-related risks and opportunities as part of our next phase of work.
For a detailed overview of ESG at Miller, please read our ESG Overview