On 24 November 2023, CTS, an IT provider to the legal profession, confirmed that it had been subject to a cyber-attack, resulting in disruption to firms that used its services.
The Law Gazette article on 1 December asked what lessons can be learnt in the aftermath of this attack.
Preparation is key to both mitigating cyber-attacks from happening, and responding effectively if they do. We have collated the following resources from secure and verified providers that you might find helpful.
- Exercise in a Box - NCSC.GOV.UK - this provides a number of business continuity scenarios to allow you to test your readiness to deal with a cyber event
- Check your cyber security - NCSC.GOV.UK - a free government service with links allowing you to carry out online checks to identify common vulnerabilities in your public-facing IT
- Stay protected online with a Cyber Action Plan - NCSC.GOV.UK - a free cyber action plan
- Threats and key takeaways for the legal sector - the National Cyber Security Centre blog post published in June 2023, which includes links to additional resources that can be tailored to the size of your firm
- Information security checklist | ICO - the Information Commissioners Office data protection self-assessment online
- Third party risks: knowing your IT Service Provider | QBE - an article produced by QBE, one of the insurers we use for Solicitors' PII, which includes a checklist of points you might want to review with your IT provider
Please also consider having an offline copy of the following details in case you need urgent help and cannot access your IT systems.
- Action Fraud website and reporting information
- SRA or CLC contact details
- Policy number and 24-hour helpline number for your cyber insurer
- Claims contact details and policy number for your PII policy
If you need any assistance, or wish to discuss your cyber insurance arrangements, please email email@example.com or contact any of the team below.
You can also subscribe to receive our regular market and risk insights straight to your inbox.Subscribe here